C J Vinten’s opened its doors 34 years ago, and over these years we have seen many customers purchase items of jewellery abroad and these numbers are increasing each year.
We are seeing many Brits jetting off on their holidays to escape from their daily lives and our rubbish weather. And occasionally whilst they’re away they stumble across a jewellery store and they remembered once they heard somebody say “we got an amazing deal on our diamond jewellery in the Caribbean”, or their tour guide whilst out on an excursion takes them to “a great jewellers with great prices”. We can definitely see why you may get tempted to splurge on these cheap sparkly jewels, I mean, who doesn’t like a bargain?!
Although, many times we have had happy, sun-kissed customers skip into our shop beaming from ear to ear saying they bought a diamond ring at a fantastic price but it needs resizing and were assured they could have it done once back in the UK. Sadly we have had to inform 90% of these customers that their ring is impossible to size for a number of reasons; the diamonds are set all the way around the band, far too many sizes therefore the ring cannot take the pressure, poor stone or manufacturing quality or that the items were not legitimate.
Okay, we don’t want to seem like it is all doom and gloom, we have also seen a few lucky people who have purchased diamonds in such places as, Dubai, and they really have had a good deal!
If you absolutely love the item and you’re happy to spend the money (and it fits), then why not treat yourself. So here are a few things to think about and look out for whilst shopping abroad:
- Do they have trip advisor reviews? if so, take the time to read some
- If you feel any pressure from either the salesperson or other shoppers, take yourself out of the situation and think about what you are about to buy
- Take your time in looking at the diamond/gemstone and the workmanship
- Use your common sense, think about how a jeweller may be able to resize or alter the item
- If the salesperson refuses to let you look under a jewellers loupe or magnifying glass, then something is probably wrong
- Think about how much it will cost you in import duties etc
- Always pay by credit card and keep receipts
- Always trust your gut
So if you are thinking of purchasing an item abroad and you would like some more advice, then feel free to pop in and have a chat with us.